"What kind of Thanksgiving dinner is this? Where's the turkey, Chuck? Don't you know anything about Thanksgiving dinners? Where's the mashed potatoes? Where's the cranberry sauce? Where's the pumpkin pie?" Peppermint Patty (from "A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving")
I used to be like Peppermint Patty Traditional Thanksgiving is with turkey, dressing, sweet potato pie, the Macy's Day Parade, and football. Living in South Asia means adjustment. Even though I had to work on Thanksgiving, I had a wonderful day. At school we learned about other country's harvest festivals and of course brought native dishes to share. I made cornbread! :) Dinner was different too. We got KFC chicken, coleslaw, boxed stuffing, potato salad, corn bread, and topped off with chocolate mint cake and ice cream. I celebrated with my roomies, two other teachers, and some cute kids!
A second grader asked me as she was leaving the bus if I was going to have turkey for Thanksgiving. When I told her no, but was going to have chicken she replied with a deep thought. "Miss Burns, Thanksgiving isn't about the food. It's about family and friends," said this very insightful second grader. She's right. I have been blessed with so many things!
Pr@ise Dad who is the giver of ALL GOOD THINGS!
*Let the Christmas season begin!*